A week before Christmas I decided to purchase a cheap dresser off the local buy sell trade Facebook group. It wasn’t very pretty, kinda basic, but pretty sturdy, solid (mostly) wood. I’ve used those cheap plastic storage bins to store some clothes for a long time, and to be honest I don’t need anything fancy… maybe I’m just basic too? Haha.
But anyways, I got the dresser and decided I should paint it. It was an off white color, and if you know me, you know I LOVE being colorful. I also love nautical charts. I mean, I use charts daily in the summer – kinda my job – so I originally wanted to layer the top of the dresser with a local chart. Turns out, the chart was a perfect width for the drawers! I used an old beat up chart I had laying around to measure, and once I knew it would work, I went out and bought a fancy new hot off the printer chart of our local tour area.
I love working with Mod Podge and figured that would be the most practical route to take. Once I had all the materials, I went to work measuring, cutting, and making a Mod Podgy mess in my living room. Overall, it was maybe 3-4 hours of work (not counting drying time) but since it was over the holidays, naturally I drug it out to take me a couple weeks from start to finish.
Once the drawers were done I painted the dresser frame, put it all together, and was quite impressed with my handy work. Now I HAVE to make a matching nightstand, with a different local chart of course!
Here are some photos of the before and after…